Monday, November 21, 2016

Embrace Mistakes

Creativity is stifled when a person approaches any creative endeavor with a fear of doing something wrong. Options are removed and possibilities are taken away. There have been times when I have felt too intimidated by the fear of ruining a piece of art to allow myself to move on, though I knew the artwork was incomplete. This fear can sometimes hold me back from pushing my creative boundaries and stepping outside my comfort zone, which in turn can keep me from taking my art to the next level... Art is all about risk. Creativity should not be bound. Once you embrace mistakes, the door swings open and the possibilities are endless.

Excerpt from my The Creative Pulse column in March/April 2015 issue of Cloth Paper Scissors and one of ten tips for finding inspiration recently featured on the Artist's Network website.


Read more, along with other tips from Roxanne Evans Stout, Dina Wakley, Crystal Neubauer, Julie Fei-Fan Balzer and many other artists here.

6 comments:

Jo Murray said...

Good advice Seth.

Francine Perri said...

Thanks Seth great advice

Brian Kasstle said...

I am currently reading "Big Magic" by Elizabeth Gilbert. Amazing book on creativity and creative living!

Poetryqn said...

I was blessed to run into a group dynamics teacher almost thirty years ago who startled me with the statement, "There are no mistakes. There is only something that happened that you did not plan." I have found this to be true for me, particularly when it comes to my art - either I get what I want or I learn something new. It's all good. Oh, and I have discovered that gesso is my friend. :-D

Carol said...

Great ideas! Going to bullet list them in my journal right now!

Curlyquilter said...

My parents (both school teachers) taught me this from a very young age. i was always encouraged to explore and TALK TO STRANGERS! Great post!!