Monday, August 24, 2015

Mixology 101.3

Mixology 101
Mixology 101.3

This series of pop-up posts will focus on sharing ways in which I combine hand made art with commercial products. Since becoming a blogger for Spellbinders in 2013, I have had the opportunity to explore many supplies coming from the craft industry and to learn how to put my own twist on them as I add them into my artwork. The posts in this series may focus on completed art, process, product, and/or any other aspect of mixed media. So put the mix in the media and let's get creative...

Aging Metal

----------------------------------
I recently began using Spellbinders new Sapphire Mini Die Cutting Machine and their line of Sapphire dies - currently exclusive to Joann. One of the sets of dies is called Sapphire Simply Tags and among its 11 pieces is a die that resembles an old school file label holder.  Using Spellbinders Media Mixage Aluminum Sheets, I cut out a series of label holders.


While I loved the shape, I really wanted to create a worn look for these pieces. That's when I started to age some metal. I roughly covered the shiny aluminum pieces with black gesso. I used a foam brush to avoid the look of brush strokes. After this dried, I rubbed on Gilders Paste in African Bronze, which is green with gold metallic flakes. These two simple steps gave me the look of rough, worn, aged metal. 


Playing around with some hand painted paper, rubber stamps, and ink pads, I created a label for my holder. I added some metal brads for a finished look.


In the end, I added it to a old leather box that I store supplies in.


-------------------------------------
For those of you what want to explore products sold directly from Spellbinders, they have generously provided my blog readers with a special code that can be used to save 20% off items in their online shop (doesn't include shipping, tax, or machines). Head to their store and use code 20OFFSA.

12 comments:

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

NICE post!

Sisterhood of the Muse said...

Thanks for the step-by-step post. I love the finished product! :-)

elle said...

I luv these pop ups! :)

trish quilty said...

Great how to...thanks Seth

Unknown said...

Loved this pop-up post! I have not tried Gilders Paste - looks super! Thanks bunches Seth. j.

Unknown said...

Great tutorial, thanks!

whyducks said...

Looks wonderful, not come across Glilders Paste, I will have to look out for it!

Jackie PN said...

Very cool Seth!
I must use dies more often! And thank you and Spellbinders for the code!
hugs,Jackie")

PocketSize said...

Awesome, those look great!

Don Madden said...

I know that machine! you had it in phoenix. Way cool.

Parabolic Muse said...

You know what? I have to admit something. Sometimes rusting things and weathered tattered paper and old leather make me sad and maybe even a little anxious. I've always had a fear of the old probably because it makes me think of the end of things, or maybe of waste, or of the cruelty of time. I love older people and animals they don't scare me, but old things bother me.

But every time I see what you do with aging your canvases and boards, your books and your metals and your boxes... it's delightful!

What does this mean? You probably know what it means.

don't tell me.

Frances said...

Very interesting and very simple. Did not know that little trick about foam brushes to avoid streaks. Nice. Thanks Seth.