Tuesday, November 12, 2013

The Fantastic Four

I spent this past weekend at The Ink Pad in NYC at a collaborative workshop called Mastering Stencils: Urban Journal Style taught by an all-star crew: Andrew Borloz, Mary Beth Shaw, Pam Carriker and Michelle Ward. Rumor has it this class sold out in just a few hours!

The Fantastic Four...

Day one started with Mary Beth Shaw who taught us techniques to create layered journal pages using stencils and several different paints, including Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics and Matisse Background Colors. I could have done this for the entire weekend!

My Pages...

I just couldn't stop...

In the afternoon of Day 1, Andrew Borloz took over and together we bound our pages and made our own books. I can never get enough book binding so this was a lot of fun!

A signature of pages...

The bound book spread open...


On Day 2, Pam Carriker and Michelle Ward took over and shared their secrets for adding further layers to the pages...with acrylic paint, spray paint, liquid graphite, paper, and more. 

I took my time in this workshop. Not having a deadline as I often do allowed me to work at a leisurely and comfortable pace. On the second day, I made headway on my cover..

from this...

to this...
...with still more to go.

I completed one spread in the book...

from this...

to this...

I plan to linger over these pages and in time, I will post pics of my completed journal. For now, I leave you with some shots of this wonderful weekend...






26 comments:

cHim-prints said...

Those are some wonderful pages/papers. Love them all - and the book!

buntpapierfabrik.blogger.de said...

Phantastic results, I wish I could take part, too.
Best regard from Germany
Christine

Anne Marie - Toronto said...

Looks like a blast! I'm jealous, as usual. What an amazing lineup of instructors.

elle said...

yup, jealous. That's the word! lol

PocketSize said...

Fantastic!!! I wish I could've taken that class, it looks like so much fun. Yes, stenciling is awfully addictive, isn't it? Love your results.

NANCY LEFKO said...

Oh my...what a wonderful experience this was...and beautiful art created!

michelle ward said...

Love that cover *wink*
Happy to have spent time with you Seth, and to get your finger on that nozzle!

Mary C. Nasser said...

Looks like an AMAZING weekend with these fabulous four artist teachers!!
Great seeing what you created in the workshop!

Jo Murray said...

Such amazing stuff in your stash now. Weekends like that are really worth doing.

rivergardenstudio said...

Wow, what an incredible workshop this must have been!
roxanne

Unknown said...

It was so much fun and I was so happy to be sitting near you! What a great time.

Sandy said...

What fun!!

Kathryn Dyche said...

Fun, fun, fun. You must have been in your element.

MB Shaw said...

Your book looks great. What a fun time we had.

Anonymous said...

looks like an amazing time - look forward to seeing that journal develop

Teresa Abajo said...

This would have been an amazing workshop to take! Love your results Seth!

Deb Trotter said...

The fantastic four, indeed. I bet all the attendees left this workshop armed with new ideas they could use in so many ways. Mary Beth's stencils are fabulous, all the instructors are so talented. Truly a melding of the minds. I look forward to seeing how you use the new techniques in your wonderful journals. Thanks for sharing.

Hastypearl said...

SPRAY PAINT!!! I Never think of using it. Great to see the book broken down. I felt the calm like you mentioned. Isnt it great to pull away and treat yourself to something wonderful now and then:)
Spray On! Laura

Jane LaFazio said...

Well, it looks pretty much like the perfect weekend!

Renee said...

Looked fabulous! Amazing teachers and a few amazing students in the photo. What a group, wow.

Anonymous said...

Had an awesome time Seth and thanks for taking us to to that great place in the Meat Packing District for dinner-it was fun!!!!

Anonymous said...

ummmm, it was Pam Carriker who posted that anonymous comment lol

pattisokol said...

Seth it was so nice to see you and catch up and I absolutely love how your journal is progressing! It's an inspiration.

Nan G said...

How exciting to learn from these accomplished artists! Love your pages and the book. Look forward to seeing a finished book.

Mickie said...

Would love to have been there, such great work!!

Marjie Kemper said...

Seth, your pages are gorgeous and your cover is absolutely divine! So glad we had that time together to leave deadlines behind and just play with the ideas and techniques presented over the weekend.