Monday, August 19, 2013

Real or Fake? The Results

Real or Fake? Ten abstract images that I have photographed. Eight of them are found photos, randomly shot in NYC. Two of them are details from gallery artwork. Can you tell the difference?

Did you play? If you haven't yet and still want to, click here to be taken to the original post before you read any further.

42 people did play. Of these, nobody guessed the correct two images. Here are the guesses, in order of frequency:


#Eight: 20 votes

#Nine: 14 votes

#Two: 12 votes

#Three: 11 votes

#One: 9 votes

#Six: 9 votes

#Seven: 3 votes

#Four: 2 votes

#Ten: 2 votes

#Five: 0 votes


The correct answers are: 

Number 3 - a detail of one of Richard Serra's monumental metal sculptures taken at the Museum of Modern Art. 

Number 6 - a detail of a piece by Pier Paolo Calzolari at his exhibition entitled When the dreamer dies, what happens to the dream which took place at both Pace Gallery and Marianne Boesky Gallery in NYC in 2012. This was an extraordinary and rare exhibit from a reclusive artist. You can see highlights from it in this video and in the following pictures:








15 comments:

Patti Edmon Artist said...

Well, it just goes to show you that art is in everything we do, everywhere we look. Thanks for this thought-provoking post and I find it really ironic that NOBODY got them right. Nice photographs:)

Unknown said...

well, if I'd guessed, I would have gotten one right. the last one. I imagine we'll all be looking closer found art now. Very inspiring post, as usual. :)

elle said...

I guess the point is to just enjoy the art and not try to over analyze everything. It does make one think though! ;)

Kathryn Dyche said...

Wow, I got neither right! So interesting.

mansuetude said...

Love this video Seth. Thank you.

PocketSize said...

Oooh, so close! I got #3 right, though! They're all beautiful, and it was definitely a good challenge :) Love the extra images you shared in this post.

CERULEAN said...

Hey Seth, inspiring post!

Mickie said...

Odd that no one got both, thought and visual inspiring!

Chris O'Brien said...

50% correct, but that was still fun to play. Inspiring to see the textures and compositions from the closeups.

Parabolic Muse said...

Well! I was wrong completely! I almost picked 3, but I never would have picked 6 !

AJ said...

cool, I was way off!

Unknown said...

Hi Seth! I didn't vote, but thought #3 was the painting because of the red outline. I have more photos of natural "found" art than anything else... everything from rust to ice crystals in mud puddles. Lately, my art is trying to respond to the found marks with my own language. It's a great, (if solitary), dance.
Really enjoyed the post and "reveal".

JLeigh Designs said...

This was a great post - thank you. Well I at least got one right, that's not too bad!

Gwen Buchanan said...

That was a tough one and a really interesting quiz.

K.C. said...

wow I'm speechless .. just wow!