Sunday, February 5, 2012

Master Class 9: Multiple Choice


Welcome to the 5th edition of The Pulse -- The State of the Art -- a survey in words and pictures of the online artist community. The Pulse is a collaborative project that aims to introduce you to new artists, help you get to know familiar faces even more, and allow you access into the creative hearts and minds of a very talented crew of individuals. More than 130 artists have answered a series of questions which make up The Pulse. Their responses will be presented in a series of online posts which will run every Sunday.

Style File and Techniques & Tools were the first two projects posted and links to all 23 posts can be found on the sidebar of my blog. The third project, Master Class, continues now...


Participants were asked : 'If you could take a class from one artist from anytime in history, including the present, who would it be and why?'

(Images and links have been added by The Altered Page)
---------------------------------------------------
Choosing just one answer to this question proved to be a serious challenge across the board. The solution for many? Multiple choice!

Marit Barentsen said "I don't feel much for a 'class'...I'd rather be 'a fly on the wall' and fly from artist to artist to see them work in their studio - view their ways of creating, suck it all in and take the inspiration home with me. I'd love to hang on the ceiling in the homes of:

Giorgio Morandi:


to see him arrange and rearrange his still lifes...

Francis Bacon:


I would like to see him work on a portrait. How does he start the first strokes...

Johnny Beerens:


This Dutch artist makes his own paper and works on larger then life paintings/mixed media art. I would like to see how he manages to do that!"
---------------------------------------------------
Evie Zaccardelli said "This is so difficult to narrow down to one. I admire Gustav Klimt, Egon Schiele, Modigliani, Pre-Raphaelites, Renaissance, Tamara de Lempicka, Rennie Mackintosh to name a few. But if I had the chance to take a class with anyone, it would be contemporary artist Shirley Trevena. She taught me to disregard rules and loosen up."


---------------------------------------------------
Laura A. Pace said "Please, I can sit at the feet of only one Master? May I not learn the ways of the day passing from Monet?


May I not see the light through van Gogh's eyes and well filled brush?


And then may I learn the still life from a reticent Cezanne?


Or the beauty of the form by way of Degas' skillful hands?


How about the lines of everyman's face from Daniel Greene?


No, I fear, I cannot chose just one."
---------------------------------------------------
Cyn Richardson based her answer on time periods. "In history, I'd choose Johannes Vermeer. His paintings are so expressive and real, and his use of color and light are intriguing.



In the present, I'd choose Duane Keiser. His pictures are so natural and realistic, and he makes it look so easy!"


---------------------------------------------------
Kathryn Dyche Dechairo also had two choices. "My love affair with Mark Rothko's abstract work began in my teens and is still going strong today. His use of color is nothing short of amazing and his work invokes a strong response in me each time I view it.


I would love to learn about his layering techniques for creating such powerful and emotional colors.


Andy Goldsworthy combines all the things I love most...art, nature and photography.


His intuitive use of nature's materials to create ephemeral and transient works is magical.


To spend time with him, out in nature would make for one incredible class don't you think?"


Passage: The Book
---------------------------------------------------
Continuing with the double features, Marsha Jorgensen said "Out of a list of a top 100 or so, I can't choose between two artists that currently fascinate me: Banksy, the controversial graffiti artist recently nominated for an Academy Award...


Wall and Piece: The Book

and the digital collage artist Casa Jordi. Both have taken popular contemporary art forms to a place just beyond what I expected."


---------------------------------------------------
debi lynn designs chose two people based on time period as well. "From the past, it would be Helen Hardin because her mixed media techniques have yet to be understood. She was a mixed media artist before her time!



From the present, it would be Ralph Lauren, the Master of Fashion and Design. I would LOVE to live inside his brain...even if for a day!

---------------------------------------------------
Although she chose only one person, I am including JoAnnA Pierotti in this post because she also chose Ralph Lauren. "I dream of being a fashion designer. I think one of the reasons I love creating dolls is designing their clothing.


I consider Ralph Lauren an artist, especially after falling in love with his 2011 Spring Runway Collection. He would be the one I would want to take a thousand classes with. I can't even imagine, really. That would be total bliss for me.

---------------------------------------------------
Pat McNally said "I could NOT pick just one - I have such scattered interests! Ansel Adams, for his artistic eye thru the lens of a camera;


Andrew Wyeth for his amazing ability to create such feeling on a canvas;


or Lisa Lichtenfels for her realistic sculptures.

---------------------------------------------------
Next 'Master Class' will be held on Sunday, February 12th.

8 comments:

ArtPropelled said...

A few new artists for me which is always great. I hope you are taking your vitamins Seth. As far as i can see you are keeping up with blogs as well as your own, going to your day job AND doing a lot of work towards promoting your book. You must be exhausted!

Marit said...

Wow, another great chapter Seth! Thanks for all the hard work you must have doing this all.. finding links and images and keeping us all on the point of our chair (is that an English phrase too?) every Sunday... you're the best!!!

Maureen said...

Your series always shows your talent for putting together some great chapters.

Duane Keiser is new to me; wonderful work.

I had a chance to see Morandi at the Phillips Collection, an excellent show.

bohemiannie! art said...

Thanks again Seth!

Jo Murray said...

Quite a few of my faves here Seth... and a few newies. It's all worth reading.

Anonymous said...

My, my, my... Once again I'm reminded that there is so much great art out there...and so little time to take it all in!!

Another great post, Seth. Thanks for keeping it coming!!!

Gwen Buchanan said...

Hi Seth, I have been looking here and past posts on your presentation of Master Class..
They are wonderful, so much talent, inspiration and emotion... to see what and why people love, covers so much in understanding.

Congrats on all your undertakings.. you are a very active sharing artist.
I wish you the Best with them.

Parabolic Muse said...

Vermeer!!! Vermeer!

(smacks self on forehead)